Monday, August 10, 2009

I Compel You

Where did I grab you?

You see, you've got to care. You have to have the impulse. Do you feel?

I was watching the finals of "Next Food Network Star" yesterday. During the finale, they aired pitches shows by each of the two final contestants in which a pilot demo was filmed. The male finalist did a show based on spices, in that he finds obscure spices from around the world and shows you how to incorporate them into recipe. The female finalist, who went on to win, used the busy mom who must prepare good food quick and easy route. In actuality, I enjoyed the guy's concept better, as I have never heard of a show like this. The woman's show did not seem unique. In fact she was even compared to Rachel Ray buy the judges.

Watching this show made me think about angles and what draws people to you. For me, the guy was better because he was teaching. He was introducing something I did not know about in a new way. That drew me in. As for the woman, while not original, she has the camaraderie factor going for her. She didn't draw me in because I am not a parent. I do not have to cook for a family. Her show is very mom-centric and I'm not a mom. It doesn't mean her idea is wrong, it just means I'm not investing.

This brings me to us. Every aspect of our lives is a hook. How do we draw our wives, husbands, boyfriends, or girlfriends in? When interviewing for a job, what is that connective inside that makes a potential employer your new boss? At family parties, why do you always make the pie?

You have to have something that is missing. If it's not missing, no one is going to care about it. Even better, make someone realize that the weren't even thinking about what was missing, but that you've got it and now they can't live, work, or play without it. I want you to want me.

Easier said than done. Sometimes you are not sure what it is that separates you. You may feel completely status quo. That just won't do. You have to be the need. The next step is to find where your need is supposed to be. There is no sense in being needed if you do not want to be needed by the needers. Follow me?

There has to be a symbioses. In order for anything to work, there has to be a mutual desire. Both parties have to feel fulfilled. It is an elusive synergy to be sure, but it is out there. I do not relish sounding so preachy or fancy myself a life coach, and I am aware that this may read in that vein, but it is the truth. It is emotional and actual commodity. Supply and demand will draw your market.

So what do you got that makes you so darn interesting? Someone is waiting out there for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment