Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fire and Diamonds

I left on a mission and went missing for a minute
Now that's the long and the short of it depending how you spin it
Walked miles of concrete till my feets numbed out
Took the last sip of water when my heart went drought
Passed out gassed out fell to the ground
Gasped for your love but I couldn't make a sound
I felt my eyes shut and my chest stopped heavin'
Thought that was the sound of my guilty soul fleein'
From the shell of the body of a stubborn human bein'
I went in peace everybody and I guess I'll be leavin'

Then it got real cold and I was up and running
From an unknown terror deadly dark and cunning
My legs felt heavy and my shoulders dipped low
When I spun in a panic not knowing where to go
I was stuck in a void of bubbling tar
A black tidal wave, under ultraviolet stars
There were shackles on my ankles and wrists bound in brambles
But in the distance was a glow, aflicker like a candle
Slowly it approached as I tried to twist free
I got to get free...just gotta get free

I let the thorns stick me but eluded their grasp
And I tugged my legs free when I shattered them clasps
I dove into the sea and swam to the light
Stroke by stroke right (GASP) left (GASP) right (GASP)
Before I knew it I was engulfed in flaming assault
My cheeks felt warm and my skin dried in salt
Forcing a look, I squinted to see
That the fire that I found was inside of me
The onyx skies fell and diamonds glittered in the air
Eyelids translucent orange from the solar glare
Light flooded the abyss and the night was gone
And not long after I awoke to a song.

You were stroking my brow and kissing my head
I was awake in your arms, safe in our bed
I knew where I was and I knew I'd never leave
It was the sound of your voice that rescued me
The fire was your love, the diamonds were were your eyes
The chains that restrained were made of lies
The escape from my fears caused my release
All along insecurity was my captivating beast
You pulled me from the hole, you saved my soul
Took the pieces of a man and made me whole
Your love is my redemption I know it's overdue
Now every time the sun rises I know it's 'cause of you

No comments:

Post a Comment